Race Against Childhood & Canine Cancer
Sunday, October 1, 2017
Brambleton Town Center, Brambleton VA
Part of the Race Brambleton Series
Smashing Walnuts Foundation and Canines-N-Kids Foundation are joining forces to “Crush Cancer at Both Ends of the Leash!” Lace up your running shoes, grab a leash and join the fun on Sunday, October 1st, 2017 in Brambleton, VA.
Two and four legged athletes will compete in the inaugural Two By Four Race Against Childhood & Canine Cancer. This unique race will feature a timed 5k race and an untimed 1-mile Kids Fun Run/Dog Jog (That’s 7-miles in dog years J)
See 5k course map here!
See 1 Mile dog/fun run course map here!
Why This Special Race? Cancer is the #1 disease-related killer of children, with brain cancer having the highest mortality rate. About 6 million pet dogs develop many of the same cancers as kids do, and nearly half of them will die from their disease. For both of these patient groups, there are precious few resources spent on finding a cure for this devastating disease. Could Man’s Best Friend Help Us “Crack the Cure” for Childhood Cancer? Studying and treating cancer in man’s best friend when they get sick can help us better understand these same cancers in children and accelerate a cure for both - a rare WIN-WIN!
Who Benefits? Your involvement will help to further critical research that can move the needle towards better medicines and a cure. 100% of net proceeds will go to support the work of the Canines-N-Kids Foundation and Smashing Walnuts Foundation in their missions to fight cancer in our most vulnerable populations – children and man’s best friend
Race Day Schedule for Sunday October 1, 2017
- 6:4 AM - race start: Race Day Packet Pick up and Registration begins
- 7:00 AM-8:30 AM: Dog Jog Registrations & Packet pick-up
- 7:00 AM-8:30 AM: Fun Run Registrations & Packet pick-up
- 8:00 AM: 5k Start - Humans only, timed race; ages 8 & up, no strollers please
- 9:00 AM: 1Mile Fun Run followed immediately by the Dog Jog (Humans and dogs, all ages; strollers allowed
- 9:30 AM: Awards, Prizes, Raffles
- 5k (Human only) Timed Race: $25 through August 31, $35 through September 28, $40 during packet pick up & race day
- 1 Mile Dog Jog/Fun Run: $20 through August 31, $25 through September 28, $35 during packet pick up & race day. Dog Jog FAQ
- Virtual Run Option: $30 and run wherever you are! All Virtual runners will receive a commemorative race shirt.
- Online registration closes on Thursday, September 28 at 8:00 pm
- 5k and Fun Run participants will receive a race t-shirt and registered dogs will receive a "Two by Four" bandana as part of their registration fee. Humans entering a dog in the Dog Jog will also receive one race t-shirt for themselves as part of their registration fee. T-shirt guaranteed to all registered by September 15.
- Additional t-shirts may be available for purchase on Race Day as supplies last.
Brambleton Welcome Center
42395 Ryan Rd #100
Friday, Sept. 29, 3-7 p.m.
Dulles South Veterinary Center
25067 Elk Lick Rd
South Riding, VA 20151
All participants are welcome at this ppu. Veterinary team will be available to review canine records onsite
Saturday, Sept. 30, 2-8 p.m.
ON RACE DAY
Sunday October 1st, Registration Area
Brambleton Town Center
5k: 6:45 AM
Dog Jog & Fun Run: 7:00 AM
Awards for the 5k will be given to the top overall male and female finishers as well as the top finishers in the following age groups; 14 & Under, 15-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59 60 & Over
Form a team to represent a family, company or a group of friends and compete against other teams. Your team is also welcome and encouraged to fundraise for the "Two By Four" efforts (benefitting both the Canines-N-Kids and Smashing Walnuts Foundations) as you prepare for the event.
Interested in Volunteering at the race? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Race Day Activities Include:
Grab and Go Post-Race Breakfast
Dress Up with Your Dog Contest
Veterinary and human emergency tents
Food and other vendors
Demonstrations and more.
Canines-N-Kids Foundation is a recognized 501c3 public charity
Smashing Walnuts Foundation derives their 501c3 status as a component fund of the Community Foundation of Loudoun & Northern Fauquier counties