CHCI 5K Run to Lead FAQ
To learn more about CHCI please click here
What time does the 5K start?
- The 5K starts at 9:00 am (Registration and packet pick-up begin at 8:00 AM).
- Racers Arrive – 8:00 AM (Please plan to arrive by 7:45 AM. This will give you plenty of time to park, pick-up your race packet, drop your stuff at bag check and get warmed up).
- Opening Ceremonies – 8:45
- Call Runners to Start Line – 8:55 5K Run/Walk Start (Course Map)
- Run Ends (outside the park) – 11:00 AM
- Games, Music, Networking 10:00 – 12:00
- Event Concludes – 12:30
- For the safety of everyone at Nationals Park, both MLB and the Nationals require that all persons entering Nationals Park walk through a metal detector or be screened with handheld metal detectors to search for prohibited items. This includes a thorough inspection of all jackets, coats, packages, bags, purses, and any other containers brought to any of the Nationals Park entry gates.
NOTE: Nat's Park branded bracelets will be given to volunteers ONLY as they will require in/out access during the run.
What Entrance do guests go through at Nat's Park?
- All guests must enter Nats Park from Center Field Gate located at the intersection of Half Street & N Street SE. Doors open at 8:00 AM.
Where is the Start/Finish line?
- The start/finish line is in the Centerfield Plaza, Nationals Park.
- Parking is complimentary for CHCI guests in the GEICO Parking garage located on the corner of South Street SE and N Street SE. Let the Parking Attendants know you are there for the CHCI 5K Run. See Driving and Parking Map: https://www.mlb.com/nationals/ballpark/transportation/driving-parking#parking-information
- Attendees coming to Nationals Park via public transportation can take the Green Line to the Navy Yard station or the Orange, Blue or Silver Lines to the Capitol South station. The Navy Yard station is just a block away from Nationals Park, and the Capitol South station is a 15-minute walk to and from Nationals Park.
- In order to ensure the safety of our staff and guests, CHCI strongly urges that all attendees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. CHCI will continue to follow guidance from the CDC and DC Department of Public Health and update you should anything change, but masks are not required for this outdoor gathering.
Can I pick up my T-shirt and race packet in advance?
- There is no advance packet pick up for this event. Packet Pick Up will open at 8:00 am on event day.
- Can I pick up my t-shirt and race packet on race day?
- Yes, race day packet pick up will open at 8:00 am.
Is the event rain or shine?
- Absent severe weather such as cloud-to-ground lightning or thunder prior to the start of the race, the Run to Lead 5K is a rain or shine event.
Will there be finisher medals?
- All 5K participants will receive a finisher's medal.
Will there be a photographer on the course?
- Yes, and photos will be available for free downloads within 7 days of the event (Highlights within 12-24 hours). Participants can visit the Swim Bike Run Photo website and find their photos via the News page: https://www.swimbikerunphoto.com/news.
Where is the Finish - Family Fun Festival?
- Following the 5K, please join us for a Family Fun Finish Festival in the Centerfield Plaza featuring music and finish line snacks and (non-alcoholic) beverages.
Will Medical Services be available at the event?
- The Run to Lead 5K will have a fully staffed medical tent and an ambulance on the course. There will also be a medical team inside Nationals Park.
Will there be a water station on the course?
- There is not a water station on this course.
Am I allowed to bring headphones, strollers, and pets?
- The use of personal music devices is discouraged while on the racecourse. Please run responsibly and be courteous to your fellow runners and to race officials.
- Pets and strollers are welcome on the racecourse, but we kindly ask that you start last so that runners are not blocked.
Can you tell me about the course?
What is the registration fee?
- The registration fee is $25.00.
What is included with my race entry?
- Upon completion of the race, you will receive a Run to Lead t-shirt and a finisher's medal. In addition, light refreshments and snacks will be available at the Park, as will games, music and family game options.
How do I register for the 5K and /or Family Fun Run?
- All participants must register online. Click here to go to the race registration site.
Can I register on the day of the event?
- Online registration is available on the day of the event until 8:30 am. However, we strongly recommend registering before you arrive at the event. Participants who register on the day of the event are not guaranteed to receive a t-shirt or finisher's medal.
Permitted Bags allowed in the Park
- All purses, bags (excluding backpacks (except as provided herein), drawstring bags, and soft-sided coolers that do not exceed 16"x16"x8".
- Prohibited Bags: Backpacks, Briefcases, bags that exceed 16"x16"x8". Please DO NOT bring large items with you. Nationals Park does not have locker storage for personal items. Guests will be asked to return large items to their car, otherwise they will not be allowed entrance. No exceptions.
THE COURSE/DIRECTIONS – SEE MAP
- The course starts inside Nationals Park in the Right Field Plaza and proceeds clockwise around the concourse to the Left Field Gate.
- Upon reaching the Left Field Gate, the course follows the pedestrian ramp up to the Gallery Level at the top of the stadium.
- Upon reaching the Gallery Level, the course reverses direction, and proceeds counter- clockwise to the First Base Ramp.
- The course follows the First Base Ramp down to the street level and exits the stadium.
- After completing the outdoor portion of the route, the course re-enters the stadium through the Home Plate Gate.
- Once inside the stadium, the course turns right and proceeds counter-clockwise to the finish line.